logo
Advertisement

July Warrior jailed in July Uprising murder case

Asia Post News
July Warrior jailed in July Uprising murder case
July warrior Mehedi Hasan Riaz (2nd from left, showing V sign). Photo: Collected

A July Uprising participant, Mehedi Hasan Riaz, has been arrested and sent to jail after being named as an accused in a murder case related to the July Uprising, despite claims that he actively took part in the movement.

Advertisement

The case was filed on September 2, 2024, with Savar Model Police Station by Nipu Ali, a resident of Jamalpur Sadar Upazila. The complaint named 53 individuals and 100 to 150 unidentified persons as accused.

According to the case statement, Sumon Hasan, son of Billal Hossain of Jamalpur Sadar Upazila, was allegedly shot dead near the Savar Registry Office intersection during the July Uprising. The plaintiff alleged that several members of the Chhatra League and Juba League were involved in the killing. The case identifies Riaz as a Chhatra League activist.

Police sources said Riaz was arrested on July 14 in connection with the case and was later sent to jail by a court. The case remains under investigation.

However, inquiries conducted by Asia Post found that Riaz had actively participated in the July Uprising. He had been employed for several years at Adil Export, a readymade garment shop in Savar New Market.

Md Ibrahim, owner of Adil Export, described Riaz as an honest young man with no involvement in politics.

"Riaz is an honest boy. He has never been involved in any political party," Ibrahim told Asia Post, adding that police detained him on the afternoon of July 13.

Mehedi Hasan Munna, a friend of Riaz and a fellow participant in the July Uprising, also defended him.

"Riaz was on the front line of the July Uprising with us. He was very active in the movement. We cannot understand how he has been made an accused in a murder case related to the July Uprising. It has deeply hurt us," he said.

Riaz's sister, Marium, said both she and her brother had participated in the July movement.

"My brother was the sole earning member of our family and supported my education. Despite that, he has been arrested," she said tearfully.

Deputy Attorney General Barrister Shihab Uddin Khan told Asia Post that if Riaz is indeed a verified July warrior, it is unfortunate that he has been implicated in such a case.

"His legal rights will be protected in accordance with the recently amended law," he said.

Riaz's father, Belal Uddin Mona, claimed that the case was motivated by property disputes and personal enmity.

He alleged that one of his late relatives, Abdur Razzak, had been an Awami League leader in the Savar Municipality area. After Razzak's death, Mona said he was entrusted with overseeing part of the deceased's property, which led to disputes with other relatives.

"The case against my son is a result of those property disputes and longstanding family conflicts," he claimed.

When contacted, the Officer-in-Charge of Savar Model Police Station said police would thoroughly examine all documents and evidence related to the case.

"If Riaz is found not guilty, necessary legal action will be taken accordingly," the OC said.

July Warrior jailed in July Uprising murder case